Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Funny Money

I usually have nutty drawers too.  I'm currently out.  I tend to OD on nuts, which kind of defeats the purpose of them being a slightly fatty, but not-too-fatty, and oh-so-filling snack.  Thing is, I keep eating them because I am starving.  About 10 minutes after I arbitrarily stop eating them, I get super-full and feel like I'm gonna throw up.  Even when I count out a reasonable portion, I'm still so hungry and I can't resist eating more!  What is wrong with me.  Ugh.

You do not have to be a brewer to go to the Brewer's Fest - just to have a booth there.  I think most of the people there are just beer aficionados.  Read: Men.  I generalize, but it's pretty true.  It was all either gaggles of fratty dudes or chubby middle aged couples.  And me and Chris.  It made me feel very beautiful.  I like places like that.  You could have come with us, for sure.  AND yelled at Rahm.  I haven't seen him again, though I got the idea that he was going to pop out of his house (like Phil the groundhog) the other day when NBC was there, aiming their cameras at the front door.

I did see Fritz the outdoor cat yesterday though.

I always suck at festivals as well.  I think for me it's just the weird pressure of spending lots of time and money to do one show.  You don't want to suck at it.  But sometimes improv sucks.  Often, improv sucks.

You've not mentioned that you hate playing in pHlip Cup.  Why do you hate it?  Is it because you're trying to steer the show toward a finite end?  I like it.

It weirds me out how babies look like their parents.  I mean, it makes sense in a whole Gregor Mendel pea pod kind of way, but it's just weird that you breed people and tiny ones that are a little of each of them, and then some of something else.

Our mailroom guy, Bernie, retired yesterday - it was a whole to-do.  He's been working here for 34 years.  Isn't that crazy?  He's been working here (presumably in that job - I mean, there's not really anything lower on the totem pole here...) for longer than I've been alive.  He's a nice guy, and great at his job, obviously.  It'll suck to have him go.  A couple things of note from the party:

1) It was super-long.  11am-3pm.
2) The company gave him a trip to Gettysburg (he loves the Civil War).  The actual people in the office all chipped in to help him pay for other stuff.  Food, souvenirs, etc.  I wasn't sure how they'd give it to him.  Like, a Visa gift card or something.  But they just gave him this box with a stack of cash in it.  It must have been like 4 inches thick.  It was awesome.  I would love that as a present.  Except I'd be super-paranoid going home from work.
3) People were saying memories about Bernie, and I chipped in and said a couple jokey things, people laughed, whatever.  But then all afternoon, people kept coming up to me and going, "Oh, ha ha!  You were so funny at Bernie's party!" "You are hilarious!" etc.  Which is fine - it's just funny, because they seemed surprised or impressed or something.  I mean, I've worked here for a while, but it's not like I really hang out with these people, and most don't know what I do.  And I don't really find it necessary to be particularly outgoing at work.  I just plod along and save it for the stage.  Or at least other people that will be funny back.  I just said "oh!  Thank you!" a lot, but it is a little hard to refrain from being like, "Well, I'd better be - I'm a comedian," or "You ain't seen nuthin', Bub." 

No comments:

Post a Comment