Friday, August 26, 2011

Quinoa Virgin No More

I just got back from Protein Bar.  (I'm super dedicated to this blog.  If we made any money off this thing, I could have written off this lunch as "research.")  I'm stuffing my face with a quinoa laden burrito right now.  It's very tasty.  I was initially concerned about the ability of this burrito to fill me up, but I have a feeling that all the protein that is packed into this thing will make me feel nice and full.  I have a feeling I'll make a Protein Bar trip a regular Friday occurrence.  At least until the weather gets shitty.

My spellcheck seems to handle quinoa just fine.  When I ask my computer to speak the word to me in it's robot voice (much like Ebert uses his to talk now) it pronounces it KWEEN-oh so I guess it will be a while before the robot revolution.

There are times when I don't mind that the pH emails devolve into bits, but mostly it annoys me because they are rarely funny unless Clayton chimes in.  He doesn't chime in enough.

I don't know if you knew I was in ROTC or not.  I didn't really do it for my dad, though he did suggest that it was a good way to help pay for a really expensive college.  With my life.  Actually, it didn't even seem that dangerous at the time because it was during the Clinton administration which focused more on making love than war.  Of course, I dropped out before America started paying my tuition.  Instead, I just had a ton of loans to pay off like most students.

I did a whole lot of other shit to please my dad, though.  I put on a "David Ford for Prosecutor" and "David Ford for State Senator" t-shirt and rode my bike in parades.  I played basketball to please him even though I didn't want to.  Turns out I really liked it.  I also skipped every single party ever thrown in high school because I didn't want to get in trouble with my dad.  That's why I never had a beer before college.  Plus, no one wants to invite the Prosecutor's son to an underage drinking party.

New college professors are dangerous.  I had that same thing happen to me a couple times.  The second time I convinced him to grade everyone on a curve.  I wasn't going to let this dude ruin the mediocre GPA that I had worked so hard to bring up from awful after the first semester of my freshman year.  When I went to college I thought I was going to be an engineer of some type.  That dream was quickly shattered when I failed Physics and got a D in Calculus.  I'm sure it had nothing to do with the fact that I had recently tasted my first beer.

Anyway, I can't really do things to make my dad happy since he's all dead and stuff.

I disagree.  I love Twitter.  I've said this before in many other places, but Twitter is Facebook without all the bullshit.  In fact, I almost exclusively use Facebook through Twitter.  I do tend to agree that the hashtags are often stupid and a cheap way to make a joke, but when have I ever been afraid of being cheap and stupid?  Not since my dad died.

No comments:

Post a Comment