Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Me and Regis

Between plays at Notre Dame games most people sit quietly.  There was a time when Notre Dame stadium was one of the loudest in the country.  In fact, the refs stopped the game twice against Michigan because the crowd was so loud that the Michigan quarterback couldn't hear.  You can see it here.  That was back in 1988 when Notre Dame was really good and people cared.  Now the crowd mostly seems bored and has no idea how to cheer at a football game.  Frankly, most Notre Dame folk are lame when it comes to being interesting in public.  Except for me and Regis Philbin.  We're awesome.

I received your invite.  It is correct and I'm looking forward to the discussion.

I don't know the origins of the Iowa Basics and why we Hoosiers were required to take it.  We did and I remember it being stupid and easy.  I was shocked that everyone didn't do really well.

I've always thought the egg baby experiment was the dumbest thing ever.  Of course middle schoolers are going to be terrible parents.  Isn't that why religious groups spend so much time trying to convince teens to avoid sex?  Wouldn't it be great if the students that passed the egg baby test were given the go-ahead for unprotected sex?  I would have tried to put my egg baby up for adoption.  That satisfies the religious nuts and makes you look responsible.

I had a French teacher in high school who was especially easy to fool.  She was also the Japanese teacher and she got a grant to take the Japanese students to Japan, so she would spend all of her French classes preparing for the Japanese students.  She would give us busy work or throw a movie in the VCR.  We were sick of being ignored, so my friend Scott and I once convinced her that the VCR would only work if she kept her hand on top of it.  She stood there through the whole class instead of teaching us.

That's the deal with HD.  So long as you've never experienced HD, regular TV is just fine.  Once you've seen HD, you never want to go back.  I hear similar things about African American men and sex, though I have no personal experience.

Work conferences are only fun in the movies.  In real life they almost always suck.  That's because most reasonable people don't have work people as their best friends.

I went back home to Indiana this weekend to visit my mom.  As you may have heard, there were some really bad thunderstorms that passed through central Indiana on Saturday.  I looked outside, saw how nasty it was and tweeted, "Indiana: where thunderstorms actively try to kill you."  Little did I know that the stage at the Indiana State Fair was collapsing at about that time.  Even though I pride myself on being a jackass, that made me feel especially jackasshole-y.  Also, it made me feel a bit like Nostradamus.

When Indiana wasn't killing people it was very nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment